Here is an outline what happens after death in the Bible taken from
ON THE SUBJECT OF DEATH from Resurrection Volume 96 No.1 Jan – Jun 1993
A. What the Bible says about Death of Saint and Sinner alike
1. It is RETURNING TO DUST: Gen. 3:19, Job 20:11, 21:26, 34:15, Ps. 22:15, 30:9, 49:12, Ps. 104:29, Ecc. 3:19, 12:7
2. It is like SLEEP: Job 14:12, Ps. 13:3, 17:15, Mt. 9:24, Jn. 11:11, 1Cor. 15:6, 18, 20, 51, 1Th. 4:13, 14,5:10, etc.
3. It is a state of DARKNESS or FEARFUL SHADOW: Ps. 23:4, 88:6, 12, 144:4
4. It is the TOTAL ABSENCE OF SOUL-LIFE (Heb. nephesh, Gk. psuche): Ps. 22:29, Ez. 37:2-10
5. In Death there is NO “BREATH OFLIFE”, ie. Spirit (Heb..ruach, Gk pneuma): Job33:4, Job14:10, Ps.104:29-30, Ecc.3:19, 12:7
6. In Death there is NO MEMORY: Ps. 6:5, 88:12.
7. In Death there is NO KNOWLEDGE or THOUGHT: Ps. 30:9, Ecc. 9:5-9
8. In Death there is NO STRENGTH OR WORK DONE: Ps. 88:4-5, 11, Ecc.9:9
9. In Death there is NO SPEECH: Ps. 30:9, 8:10-11, Prov. 27:20.
10. Death is TOTAL DESTRUCTION: Ps. 55:23, 88:5-11.
11. Death for every child of Adam is CERTAIN: Ps. 22:29, Job 14:10, 21:13, Ecc. 9:5, Rom. 5:12, Heb. 9:27.
12. All the Dead are now IN HELL (Gk. HADES, Heb. SHEOL), NOT IN GOD’S HEAVEN:
(a) Saints: Ps. 15:10, 86:13, Mt. 16:18, Acts 2:34, 1Cor. 15:54-55;
(b) Unsaved: Ps. 9:17, 88:4, Ez. 32:18, Mt. 11:23, 23:33.
13. THERE IS NO HOPE OF RETURN FROM DEATH TO LIFE, EXCEPT BY GOD’S POWER
(a) For Jesus, in his resurrection: Mt. 28:46, Acts 2:24-27, 31:33, 3:15, 26, 4:10, 5:30, 10:40, 13:30, 17:31, Rom. 10:9, Eph.1:20,2:5, Col 2:12, 1Th. 1:10.
(b) For Mankind on Resurrection Day to Come: Ez. 37:3-12, Jn. 5:26-28, Eph. 2:6, 2Cor. 4:14, Rev. 20:12,21:1-7.
14. ON RESURRECTION DAY, God’s redeemed enter THE NEW HEAVEN & NEW EARTH prepared for them; while the Unredeemed face THE JUDGMENT & THE LAKE OF FIRE. No one “GOES TO HEAVEN” or “GOES TO HELL” when they die!!
B. WORDS & PHRASES THE BIBLE USES FOR DEATH number of times
Death (Heb, maveth; Gk. thanatos); [in OT 160, in NT 180]
Died, dead (Heb. muth, gava; Gk. nekros apothnesko);[in OT 160, in NT 200]
Asleep with, or gathered to fathers (OT only);[in OT 66+]
Asleep or sleeping: (twice “asleep in Jesus”);[in OT 3, in NT 16]
Down to dust, at rest in the dust;[in OT 15]
The grave (Heb. qeber; Gk. mnemelon);[in OT 10, in NT 3]
Cut off from the living:[in OT 30, in NT 4]
Slain or slaughtered:[in OT 460, in NT 30]
Killed:[in OT 165, in NT 70]
Destroyed (various equivalent verbs);[in OT 80, in NT 12]
Perished (Beb. abad, et al,; Gk. apollumi, et al);[in OT 20, in NT 15]
Bloodshed (as a synonym for killing);[in OT 50, in NT 3]
Blood (as figure of speech or metonymy to signify death; ‘of which 28 mean the death of Christ );[in OT 100, in NT 48]
In hell* (Heb. sheol, 41 times; Heb. gehenna, 8 times; GK. hades, 10 times);
(*Note:In English Bibles the one word hell is used for gehenna, sheol, and hades ,though gehenna is synonymous with the Lake of Fire, or the Second Death of the ungodly.)
C WORDS and PHRASES USED BY CHRISTIANS TODAY TO SIGNIFY DEATH
“Gone to be with the Lord, or “With the Lord”;
“Gone to glory”, or “in glory”;
“With the saints in glory”, “with the angels in glory”, “with loved ones”;
“Taken home to the Lord”, “with Jesus”, or “happy in Jesus”;
“Left the body behind to be with Jesus”; .”In heaven”, “with God”, “raptured”, “departed this earth”, and similar.’
“Lost my wife, husband, child, father, mother, etc.
“But almost never do we hear:”Asleep in Jesus”, or “Awaiting Resurrection Day”.
D.HOW TO READ THE “LIFE and DEATH” PASSAGES OF SCRIPTURE
(For those uncertain what death is, when it began, and when saints receive eternal life)
Rom.6:23 Sin earns death, but God will give eternal life through Jesus Christ.The wages will come at Resurrection/Judgment Day; so then will the gift.
Gen.2:17, “The day you disobey, dying you will die” said God to Adam; and “death” is returning to dust. Then Gen. 3:19-22 shows that, “the death process begins in your body the day you are cut off from eating of the Tree of Life.”
Gen.7:1 “Man (i.e. the whole person) whom I have created …I will destroy,” said God, before the Ark was built.
Gen.7:21-22 And when the Flood came, we read, “And all flesh died that moved upon the earth …all in whose nostrils was the breath of life, died. And every living substance upon the face of the ground was destroyed, both man and cattle and creeping things and the fowl of the heaven. They were destroyed from the earth and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him … ‘
|John 3:16||Son of man“lifted up”|
|So that– Believers will receive eternal life|
-Unbeliever will perish
|John 3:36||Believing in the Son in this lifeNot believing here||Promises– Resurrection to receive eternal life Jn 5:29|
-Resurrection to damnation and God’s wrath, Jn 5:29
|John 5:24||Hearing Jesus’ word and believing that God sent him||Now promises-Eternal life, no condemnation, nor death sentence|
Jn 11:25 I, Jesus am the Source of future resurrection to life eternal.
Jn 11:26 (Suggested full meaning implied by the context) The one believing in Me, though he dies, will live again (on Resurrection Day); and those believing in me, when they come to life on that Day,” will then never die again!
E. THE RESURRECTION MANIFESTO of 1 COR.15:12-23: SEVEN “IF’s” AND A “BUT”
(1) Wording from Nestle Greek text. (2) Nowhere in vss.12-20 is reference to “bodies”!
Vs.12: IF we preach that Christ was raised from among dead persons (Gk.ek nekron), how can some of you say there is no resurrection of dead persons?
Vs.13: IF there is no resurrection of dead persons (Gk. nekron), neither has Christ been raised.
Vs.14: IF Christ has not been raised, our preaching is vain and your faith is vain(Gk. kene = empty).
Vs.15: IF dead persons (Gk. nekroi) are not raised, we are false witnesses of God.
Vs.16: IF dead persons (Gk. nekroi) are not raised, neither has Christ been raised.
Vs.17-18: IF Christ has not been raised, your faith is useless, you are still sin bound; and those fallen asleep (Gk. koimethentes) in Christ have perished (Gk. apolonto = been destroyed).
Vs.19: IF in this life only we have hoped, we are more to be pitied than all men.
Vs.20-23:BUT now Christ has been raised up from dead persons (Gk. ek nekron),the firstfruit of those fallen asleep (Gk. kekoimemenon). For since through a man (came) death, also through a man (came) resurrection of dead persons (Gk, nekron). For, as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive. But each (person) in his own order; Christ the firstfruit; afterward, those that belong to Christ at his coming.