In “waiting for Jesus” Jefferson Vann explains how to live a life that waits for Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 1:8-10 (JDV)
1 Thessalonians 1:8 You see, the word of the Lord rang out from you, not only in Macedonia and Achaia, but in every place that your faith in God has gone out. Therefore, we don’t need to say anything,
1 Thessalonians 1:9 because they themselves report what kind of reception we had from you: how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God
1 Thessalonians 1:10 and to wait for his Son from the sky, whom he raised from the dead – Jesus, who is rescuing us from the coming wrath.
waiting for Jesus
The Thessalonian Christians were a model for all of us. They showed us how to live our lives as we wait for the next big thing to happen: Jesus’ returning from the sky to rescue his people from the coming wrath. Here’s how they did it:
- They rang out the word of God by sharing their faith.
- They received ministry from Paul and his team with gratitude.
- They repented of their idolatrous lives.
- They committed themselves to serve the living and true God instead.
- They put their faith in their coming Savior, and the rescue he will bring.
That is how you wait for Jesus. You don’t trust in anything that you do, not even in your death. Your hope is focused on his return. That is when rescue will happen.
Lord, we commit ourselves to waiting for you, and your coming rescue.
For more about the hope of rescue at Christ’s return, see: