In “pandemic!” Jefferson Vann talks about the universal pandemic of sin, and its eventual cure.
For months now, the planet has been in the grips of a pandemic that has caused us all to stop and take drastic measures, because it has been literally killing us.
What makes this coronavirus so insidious is that it is not contained to a specific region, but has spread throughout the globe, thus we call it a pandemic.
The Bible tells us of another disease that is pandemic. In fact this disease infects us all, and is 100% fatal.
If we look at the consistent message of scripture, we see a pattern emerging which explains all human suffering, and the end result of that malady if it goes untreated.
- “And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, “You may surely eat of every tree of the garden, but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die” (Genesis 2:16-17 ESV).
The choice of our ancestors to disobey God and sin against his will infected us all with the virus of sin. We failed God and we failed ourselves, and the results of that sin are consistent failure and constant suffering. The end result is always the same without fail. We all die.
- “And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. Though they know God’s decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them” (Romans 1:28-32 ESV).
- “Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned—“ (Romans 5:12 ESV).
The symptoms of the sin pandemic are various, but its universal effect is to remove from humanity the vital ability to stay connected to the source of life: God himself. The further we get from him,the more it affects our mind. The sin we caught from our ancestors produces willful sin from us. We choose to sin, and that sinful activity produces suffering itself in this life.
- “Do you not know that if you present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness?” (Romans 6:16 ESV).
Sin has drastically changed what is possible and what is impossible for us. We don’t do what we want to do, but find ourselves in slavery to things that we know are wrong, and will result in death. No mask can protect us from its effects. No social distancing will help, because we are all already infected.
- “For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 6:23 ESV).
The only good news we have about this pandemic is that God has provided a cure. His name is Jesus. His sacrificial death on the cross was God’s free gift which took away the inevitable permanent death we all deserve for our personal sins. But like every cure, God’s cure for the pandemic of sin is not automatic. The vaccine must be ingested, the cure must be taken. Believing in Jesus Christ is the only way to reverse and destroy the sin pandemic.
Around the world today, nations are beginning to envision the eventual end of the coronavirus pandemic. We are starting to think about coming out of lockdown, visiting friends again, congregating at churches and synagogues and mosques again, going to school again.
God is asking us to envision the end of the sin pandemic as well, because sin has no place in God’s eternal universe. There will come a day when sin is no longer here. The question for all us is, will we be here? Will we allow the sin pandemic to destroy us, or will we accept God’s cure?